Dr. Hanshew was born in Yakima, WA. The eldest of five children, she was
raised with a heightened sense of responsibility and awareness of health
and safety issues. She grew up in the south end of Seattle and attended
St. Anthony's Elementary school in Renton and JFK Memorial High School
in Burien. She was a participant in the first Junior Admit Program to
Seattle University in 1972, majoring in Biology. She graduated with
Honors from Drake University in Des Moines, IA in 1976 with a B.A. in
In 1982, Dr. Hanshew graduated with Honors from Drake University with
a Master of Arts Degree in Genetics and Microbiology. Jennifer Lyn was
born in 1980 and was a constant companion in graduate school to Dr.
Hanshew. Her students were very fond of the baby girl and would compete
for the privilege of holding and playing with the baby during class.
During this time, Dr. Hanshew also worked full-time as a research
Scientist for Syntex Laboratories in Vaccine research and development.
She then applied to the University of Washington School of Medicine and
was accepted. She graduated in 1987 with Honors, completing the arduous
four-year program in only three years. She was the recipient of the
prestigious Excellence in Physical and Medical Rehabilitation Award as
a second year medical student and the Merck Manual Award in recognition
of her outstanding academic and clerkship performance in graduating with
Honors in only three years. Again, Jennifer was a favorite in class, as
well as on the clinical rotations.
Dr. Hanshew attended the Swedish Hospital Medical Center Family Medicine
Residency Program from 1987-1989. She has practiced medicine on the
eastside of Seattle since 1989. She is Board-Certified in Family
Medicine and Bariatric Medicine (Weight Management). She has achieved
specialized training in Anti-Aging Medicine, Natural Hormone Replacement
and Environmental Toxicity issues relating to the exponential rise in
the incidence and successful treatment of Autism, Fibromyalgia , ADD,
Chronic Fatigue, Multiple Sclerosis, Obesity, Anxiety, Depression and
Cancer. She is a national recognized speaker, published author, and has
testified before the EPA demanding a ban on the "legal" practice of
allowing toxic heavy metals to be "recycled" in our fertilizer and food
Dr. Hanshew currently resides in Costa Rica, where she is an expert on
environmental toxicity issues and health-related concerns. She is no longer
licensed to practice medicine in the U.S.
Jennifer graduated from the University of Washington in June 2002, with
a B.A. in English and Education. She enjoys teaching elementary school
and is happily married to a wonderful man who is a Business curriculum
high school teacher.
American Board of Bariatric Medicine 1999 Board-certified Bariatric Medicine
American Association of Physician Specialists 1997 Board-certified Family Medicine
Swedish Hospital Medical Center, Seattle, WA 1987 - 1989 Family Practice Residency
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 1984 - 1987 M.D. with Honors
Drake University, Des Moines, IA 1976 - 1982 M.A. Genetics/Microbiology with Honors
Drake University, Des Moines, IA 1974 - 1976 B.A. Biology with Honors
Seattle University, Seattle, WA 1972 - 1974 Biology Major
2002 - 2004 Solo practice at Longevity & Environmental Medicine Clinic, Bellevue, WA.
- Treatment of immuno-suppression, autism, learning disabilities,
and neurochemical imbalances due to environmental toxicity. Specialized
in Anti-Aging Medicine and Bariatric Medicine with emphasis on
Neuro-endocrine, carcinogenic and metabolic abnormalities.
1993 - 2002 Solo practice at Lakeside Family Medicine, Issaquah, WA.
Specialized treatment of chemical/hormonal imbalances relating to
metabolic disorders, i.e. Obesity, Diabetes, Fibromyalgia and M.S.
- 1990 - 1992 Chec Medical Center, Bellevue, WA
- Full-time physician in Family Practice and Urgent Care and
1989 - 1990 Village Family Medicine, Issaquah, WA
- Full-time physician in Family Medicine.
1982 - 1983 College of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences, Des Moines, IA
- Instructor of students in Medical, Podiatric and Nurse Practitioner
programs. Responsible for teaching Neuroanatomy, Microbiology laboratory
sciences, prepared human neuroanatomy slides and maintained preserved
human brain specimens.
- 1980 - 1982 Drake University, Des Moines, IA
- Academic Tutor for the Athletic Department and the
physically-disabled students in the Biology Department.
1978 - 1980 Syntex, Inc., Des Moines, IA
- Staff Scientist in research and development of vaccines.
- 1977 - 1979 Iowa State Regional Genetics program, Des Moines, IA
1976 - 1978 Drake University, Des Moines, IA
- Graduate Assistant responsible for teaching laboratory courses
in the Biological Sciences, maintaining equipment, supplies and
PUBLICATIONS / PRESENTATIONS
Assessment of the Obese Patient and Treatment Protocol Selection in My Family Medicine Practice
. Journal of Bariatric Medicine. Fall, 1999.
The Effect of Spermine of Sister Chromatid Exchanges in Human Lymphocytes
. Master's Thesis, Drake University, 1982.
Mercury, The Winged Messenger. A Story of Corporate Greed and Political
Zietzke, Courtney, First Books. Seattle. 2004.
2001-2004 Monthly public and physician seminars presented in Seattle,
Bellevue, Maple Valley, Tri-Cities, WA and Portland, OR on topics
ranging from environmental toxicity effects on the neuroendocrine system
to environmental toxicity effects resulting in breast cancer, autism and
2003 Well Mind Association - Seattle: Environmental Neurotoxic Effects on
Cognition, Learning and Behavior.
Well Mind Symposium - Seattle: The Eight Modifiable Risk
Factors of Aging.
Well Mind Symposium - Seattle: The Effects of Environmental
Toxicity on Neuro-Cognitive
Pfizer certified speaker for Viagra. Presented public education seminars
on erectile dysfunction.
Pharmacia certified speaker for Celebrex, San Diego, CA. Presented
physician education seminars
on inflammatory pathways and Cox-2 pathways.
- 1999 Testified before the EPA regarding proposed regulations for
Zinc Fertilizers made from Hazardous Waste.
1999 Searle certified speaker for Ambien. Presented physician education seminars on sleep
- 1999 GalaxoSmithKline certified speaker for Wellbutrin SR, New
York, New York. Presented physician education seminars throughout
Kiwanis International Convention, Montreal, Canada. Presented
AIDS Education and Prevention
- 1996 Certified speaker for Pharmaceutical Management of Obesity.
Presented physician education seminars throughout Washington State.
Post Marketing Studies
Imitrex Injectable Post Marketing Surveillance Study. Glaxo. 1993.
Redux Post Marketing Surveillance Study. American Home Products. 1997.
- Arsenic Poisoning in Children Due to Toxic Timber - Channel 7
Investigative Reports. 2002.
Report on Viral Illnesses in School Children - Channel 5 Health Report. 2002.
Report on Leukemia Cluster on Issaquah Plateau - Channel 13. 2002.
AWARDS AND ACTIVITIES
- 2002 - Current Kiwanis Board Member Emeritus, Bellevue Kiwanis
- 2001-2002 Served as Community Representative on the Curriculum
Review Committee for the Issaquah School District, reviewed and approved
all new teaching materials.
- 1998 - 2002 Kiwanis Advisor for the Key Club of Issaquah High
School, Issaquah, WA.
- 1998 - 2002 Key Club Area Administrator for 15 High Schools, WA.
- 1998 - 2001 AMA Physician’s Recognition Award for Continuing
- 1996 - 2002 Kiwanis Board Member Emeritus, Issaquah Kiwanis Club,
- 1996 - 1997 Pacific Northwest District Kiwanis, District Chair,
Promotion of Sponsored Youth, George F. Hixson Award for World Community
- 1995 - 1996 Pacific Northwest District Kiwanis Lt. Governor,
Division 28. Distinguished Service Award.
- 1994 - 1995 Volunteer of the Year for the City of Issaquah, awarded
by the Chamber of Commerce.
- 1993 - 1994 President of Kiwanis Club of Issaquah.
- 1991 - 1992 Chair of Kiwanis World Wide Service Project, Issaquah
Kiwanis Club, WA.
- 1991 - 1997 Volunteer for the Issaquah Juvenile Court Diversion
- 1991 - 1992 Kiwanian of the Year.
- 1989 - 2002 Member and Officer for the Kiwanis Club of Issaquah,
- 1989 - 2002 Physician Advisor to the Issaquah School District for
creation of AIDS Curriculum, including Public Meetings, School Board
Presentations and Teacher/Student Seminars.
- 1987 University of Washington School of Medicine Merck Manual
Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement. Awarded in recognition of
graduating from U.W. School of Medicine with Honors in only three years
- 1986 University of Washington School of Medicine Award for
Excellence in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.